Thursday, July 29

Cooking Therapy

As a young child I used to watch and eventually assist my mom when she cooked. She would let me do the stirring/frying of the vegetables and I guess that's where my skill in frying vegetables perfectly comes from. I started cooking more seriously when I fell ill in 2004 and since then I have not stopped. In fact my love for cooking deepens ever since we relocated to the States because cooking becomes a daily affair. When the "experiment" is successful I feel a great sense of achievement and joy. When others (especially the husband) enjoy my food my heart does a little skip and dance. Here my creativity surfaces and takes a life of its own. It's fun and therapeutic! I also love reading cook books and translate them into delicious dishes. Most importantly, my husband and I eat more healthily because we know exactly what goes into the making of our meals. It's been a great journey.

I know that not everyone enjoys cooking. Some might even be intimidated by it. Others may not have the time. Hence I decided to share some of the recipes that I have tried and I promise you this - there are not only simple to make but healthy and delicious too. There is a saying in Mandarin that says,"Health is wealth." I could not have agreed more. The first step that anyone can take towards improving one's health is by eating better. Take that first little step today.

To kick this off, let me introduce you to the World’s Best Braised Cabbage. I was most amused when I saw the title and was keen to give it a shot. It's really easy to prepare. What you need is time because it takes about 2 hours ++ to cook. It is an excellent dish - the sweetness of the cabbage, onions and carrot is enhanced through slow cooking. A perfect example where yummy food is also healthy. Try it and let me know if you like it :)


I paired the braised cabbage with pork loin and croquette. It was a lovely meal.

No comments: